How to Make Balcony Canvas Awning
There are many people who live in an apartment. They feel quite confused since they only have small outdoor area. Yes, usually many apartments have small outdoor area which is quite challenging to be improved to support many outdoor livings. The outdoor area usually goes with balcony which has different size from common outdoor area like patio or garden.
Balcony can be improved into many ways which can be great for relaxation. There are many ideas which can be found when you are reading some home improvement books and magazines. One of the many ways to improve a small balcony apartment is adding a cover. You probably have seen a great idea with a balcony cover like awning. Well, it is quite beautiful, isn’t it?
Balcony awning is an extended shelter attached to the balcony wall which opens out into a balcony or an open outdoor space over a window or on camper vans from outside. Balcony awning can also stand alone on a beach to give you shade and protection from UV rays of the sun. It is known as an overhang and can be made of acrylic, polyester or vinyl or the combination of the three. It is best for protecting the house from extreme weather conditions like heavy rain, snow, storm, and summer heat. These are synthetic awnings as opposed to the popular canvas awning.
Instructions to Make an Exterior Canvas Awning
Commonly understood, balcony canvas awning is kind of wooden or aluminum frames covered with canvas or other fabric. The balcony canvas awning will create awesome exterior place for many people to enjoy many outdoor livings such as sitting, reading, and relaxing. Following are the requirements and the steps to make a canvas awning.
• Industrial Strength Sewing Machine
• Drill Machine
• Metal Rings
• Rope Stakes
• Measuring Tape
• Hooks and Grommets
1. Firstly, you need to decide and measure the area that you want under your awning.
2. Then, you could cut the piece of canvas as per your extents. Also, you will need to hem the edges of the canvas which is good to avoid fraying and to give it a finished look. You need to make use of an industrial strength sewing machine for this task.
3. Next, please hold the canvas along the wall and mark the two corners of the balcony wall with a pencil from where the awning will be hung.
4. After that, you can drill two holes in the wall with a motor drill and insert two hooks into the two holes.
5. Attach the grommets on the two corners of the canvas which would be extended and two metal rings of 1-inch, on the other corners which will be attached to the wall.
6. Remember to fix two metal or wooden poles in the ground which will hold the extended awning, with a rope.
7. Then, you need to take two metal rings and place them over the poles through that the rope is attached to the grommets of the canvas will pass. Also, stake the ropes into the ground. This idea will be useful to let the balcony canvas awning remain stable and prevent from falling or flying away.
8. Finally, after completing all the steps your balcony canvas awning is ready to hang.